Monday 27 March 2023

Willow Warblers, Dunlin and Birds of Prey

This morning my mum and I headed down to the Farmlands in the hopes that the male Ring Ouzel from yesterday had stuck around. Unfortunately we could not relocate it, but we did manage to find the first Willow Warbler for Beddington this year and behind it we could hear another individual. Both birds were in subsong but they were very quiet and could easily have been missed. Whilst watching one of them I thought I briefly heard a singing Sedge Warbler but unfortunately could not confirm 100%. My mum managed to get a couple of patch year ticks in the form of 2 Dunlin and a Sand Martin that were using Phase 3 Wet Grassland to feed. At least three Little Ringed Plovers and a Green Sandpiper were also on Phase 3. We also saw a Peregrine that carried its prey (a Ring-necked Parakeet) up to the top of the Incinerator chimney. After thoroughly scanning Phase 3 we then headed to the usual vismig spot as I thought that today was going to be good for raptors. My mum had to leave at 9am to get home for work but I stayed until midday. Overall I managed to get a minimum of 10 Buzzard, 3 Red Kite, 2 Sparrowhawk, 1 Kestrel and 1 Peregrine, plus 2 Greylag Geese flew south and 16 Meadow Pipit moved through. eBird list here.

Willow Warbler below:

Willow Warbler

Willow Warbler

Willow Warbler

Willow Warbler

Dunlin below:

Dunlin

Dunlin

Dunlin

No comments:

Post a Comment