Sunday 16 January 2022

Snaresbrook and Wanstead Flats

Yesterday I decided to go to Snaresbrook for the adult Caspian Gull that has regularly been seen on Eagle Pond. I have seen plenty of Caspian Gulls at Beddington but I have never seen anything older than 2nd winters so I thought it was a good opportunity to go and study this individual and get some physical experience with their adult plumage. When I arrived early morning it was unfortunately quite foggy, so I decided to walk over to Hollow Pond and see what was over there. The fog just started to lift after I had had a thorough look around Hollow Pond but I decided to head off to Wanstead Flats to look at the 1,200+ Common Gulls there, with the intentions of heading back for the Casp in the afternoon. Anyone that has heard me talk about Common Gulls will know how much I've always wanted to see a Russian Common Gull (Larus canus heinei) or at least find a decent candidate. I knew that this was by far the best chance I had ever had to study the variation in nominate canus and pick out any heinei candidates. I ended up spending a total of 3hrs and 20mins at Wanstead as I got a bit carried away. Whilst this was great as it made me happy I had given it a good go, it did unfortunately mean I had cut it rather fine in terms of time to get back for the Caspian Gull at Eagle Pond. It had started to get dark as I arrived back at Eagle Pond and I just got on a large gull in the far corner of the pond as it then flew off. It was it! How frustrating! It was nowhere near the views I was hoping for, but it was good to see how noticeable the large white mirrors are on p10. I have put it on Ebird but I am by no means taking it as my first ever adult Caspian Gull. I guess that just means I will really have to try and find one at Beddington. Ebird trip report here and my favourite pics below:

Hollow Pond:

Black Swan

Black Swan above and below. A nice surprise and sound recorded too

Black Swan

Great Crested Grebe
Great Crested Grebe (not that frequent at Beddington so always good to see)

Adult Common Gull
Adult Common Gull (canus) - large white mirrors on p9 and p10, grey base on p8, obvious white tongue tip on p7, incomplete band on p5 and broad white trailing edge on secondaries

Nuthatch
My first Nuthatch of the year. I promise this photo is not upside down - just the bird!

Lesser Redpoll
Lesser Redpoll - a group of 6 were my first of the year

Wanstead Flats:

Adult Common Gull
Adult Common Gull (canus) doing the rather amusing shuffling of feet to bring worms to the surface. Note the head streaking on the crown and behind the eye and large white mirrors

Probable Russian Common Gull (heinei):

Adult Common Gull
Clean white head and a nice shawl. Legs and bill brighter yellow than surrounding nominate canus, along with slightly darker mantle and paleing eye

Adult Common Gull

Adult Common Gull

Adult Common Gull

Adult Common Gull flying
Some pros and cons in the wing pattern here. Pros - extensive black on outer primaries (black on p8 does not quite extend fully to primary coverts but that is still fine for heinei) and spot on p4. Cons - large white p9 mirror and large white tongue tips, particularly on p7

Another interesting individual (perhaps an intergrade?):

Adult Common Gull
Pics overexposed but more canus-like than previous individual. Mostly white headed except some small 'pencil marks' on the crown. Nice shawl but bill less bright yellow

Adult Common Gull flying
Open wing shot far better on this bird which allows for better detailed analysis. Mirrors and tongue tips certainly better this time, but no spot on p4 and black on outer primaries less extensive.

Limited head streaking on this canus:

Adult Common Gull

Adult Common Gull

Adult Common Gull flying

Adult Common Gull flying
Black on p5 appears to be weaker on the right wing than it is on the left wing

1st winter Common Gulls (canus):

1st winter Common Gull

1st winter Common Gull

1st winter Common Gull

A special thanks to Dante for his views on my probable heinei. I must come back to Wanstead Flats or go somewhere else with more Common Gulls than Beddington at some point to give it another go after now feeling more confident with looking for certain features.

No comments:

Post a Comment